Plastics – the Plague of our times?
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
In the last 40 years the amount of plastic has been shown to increase 100-fold. Roughly 5 250 000 000 000 pieces of plastic, or ca. 270 000 ton is currently circulating in our oceans. That equals, in weight, to nearly 1200 statues of liberty. Plastic pieces in the center of our ocean’s circular currents outnumber live marine plankton!
Plastic can take up to hundreds of years to decompose and the released toxins remain long after. Apart from entangling marine life it also causes death and intoxication though ingestion when it is mistaken for food. Humans absorb the same toxics including neurotoxins and carcinogenic substances when consuming seafood.
WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW – CREATE CHANGE
✓ Say no to plastic bags
- Bring a good quality bag that can be re-used.
✓ Say no to straws
- If you are not a small child you don’t need them.
✓ Say no to synthetic fibers
- Use clothes made of natural materials
✓ Say no to product wrapping
- Choose a product with minimal packaging
- Leave packaging in the store
- Accept biodegradable disposable items only
- Bring your own reusable quality gear
✓ Say no to littering
- Throw cigarette butts, ice cream wrappers, pet bottles, plastic bags and
other garbage in garbage bins (not on the streets or on the beach).
- Avoid smoking on the beach
♥♥♥ Thank you for contributing to wellbeing on this planet ♥♥♥